Wednesday, February 26, 2014

By God or Godzilla...

Alas...poor Ronin...I knew you well.

My car died this past Friday. And when I say it died...I MEAN IT DIED A BITTER SMOKING DEATH! It was almost beautiful in a silly way how white smoke started to blow out the tail pipe then from under the hood. It happened on the way to St. Louis when I was following Elizabeth to help her do a set up for a convention. Once I got there and popped open the hood I saw the white smoke blowing up from the engine and I knew at once that my car had just died on me. I will say that I have to pat myself on the back because I did not have a freak out about it or get mad. I just figured...oh well.

We are lucky that we are AAA plus members and was able to get the car towed back to our mechanic's shop for free. I knew that whatever was wrong with the car, it was going to be beyond our means to fix it. Plus, the thing is/was nothing but a POS period. The fan had stopped working so I didn't have heat all winter, the transmission was starting to make a hard pop when I would shift it into reverse, and the catalytic converter had gone out so I couldn't the stupid thing to pass inspection. Which cost me getting a ticket. Hey, my fault, so nothing to do about that. So to get this thing fixed would come to well over 3,000 to 4,000 dollars or more. So...Elizabeth and I have decided to put a bullet in the poor thing and put it out of our misery. Folks...never and I mean NEVER buy a Suzuki car. The thing is maybe worth 2,300 dollars in good condition. Trust me...you don't want to know how much I paid on that stupid thing over the last three years.

Why am I talking about car troubles on the wedding blog? Because...we are NOT and I repeat, NOT going to postpone our wedding by using the tax return money to fix my car or just get a junker so I can drive to work. I am lucky enough that I only work maybe three miles from my home so I will be taking the bus and riding a new bike that I got from my future mother and father-in-law. Eh...it will make my doctor happy because I need to get in better shape anyway. But no matter what, this wedding is going to happen. Elizabeth and I are not going to let anything stop this from happening. She has gotten her tax money in and my refund will be coming soon and we will have our money for the wedding. Is it going to be a big blow out of one? No...but we ARE going to have one.

I have had the honor to plan this thing with Elizabeth and go with her to the wedding shows and look at flowers and dresses and tuxes and eat cake samples(my favorite part by the way)to my hearts content. We are not going to throw it away just because my car decided to throw us a curve ball. And while I am on the subject of dresses, some people may ask why I have gone with Elizabeth to watch her try on dresses. Let me just say that in my first marriage I followed the rule of not seeing the bride in her dress before the wedding and I still ended up divorced. So hey, I figure that if I see Elizabeth in her dress before we get married my luck just might be reversed this time. Hey, it could happen.

I love this woman. My beautiful Star of the Night Sky. We ARE getting married this year. It WILL be in our church and not at the court house. I did that once and I never felt like I was married because of it. So this time I'm doing it right and marrying Elizabeth in front of our priest and God in Heaven. No car break down or other craziness is going to stop us. Besides, we have more cake tasting to do before November. Just joking. But when it gets right down to it, I'm marrying this wonderful woman. By God or Godzilla...we are getting married this year.

Rant over. Thank you and see you in the world of Bitstrips. 


1 comment:

  1. That could have been dangerous. I've seen overheating cases where the car literally burned itself to the ground, so consider yourself very lucky! But not as lucky though on the expenses, so I’d guess losing it for good would have been a good way to deal with it. Anyway, happy engagement to you and Elizabeth! I hope you guys get a new and better car!
    Taleen Kizirian @ JimAndJacks.com

    ReplyDelete