Saturday, November 22, 2014

Happiness...Love...and Even A Little Godzilla Part 2

We had ridden in our little fairytale carriage for about forty minutes, and it was time at last to go to the wedding reception. 

The place we had chosen was the Wildey Theater in our town, a wonderful old movie house that had been renovated by the city. Our names were on the marquee in lights! It was so awesome to ride up in the carriage, with Tom taking pictures of us and outside of the grand old place. We thanked our driver and Jedi the horse for the wonderful (but cold) ride. 

Tom took pictures of us under the marquee kissing and across the street so the whole place could be seen. At last it was time to go inside. As we went into the elevator, I couldn't help but kiss Elizabeth again and smile. She gave me her patented Elizabeth look of happiness. 

After we exited the elevator and went into the reception room on the top floor, the room burst into cheers and applause. We were getting a standing ovation for just walking into the room. The song, As Long As You're Mine from Wicked played as we entered the room. We waved to everyone, and my son, Noah, screamed "DAD! DAD! LOOK AT YOUR CAKE! THAT IS SO COOL!"

I looked where he was pointing. The baker made my cake just like I wanted: a toy Godzilla action figure between two buildings, with one on fire and the other broken in half. The words '60 Years Of Destruction!' were written on the bottom of the cake. It truly was awesome and was what I have been wanting these past two years in a groom's cake. 

As we walked through the crowd with all the cheering and laughter, we made it to our own head table at the front of the room. I looked out at the packed room smiling, and couldn't help but feel proud to be surrounded by so many people that loved us.

"What are all of you doing here?" I asked, laughing. I got a good laugh from the crowd and I sat down next to Elizabeth.


Our wonderful DJ, Alesia Clardy, introduced us again and helped with the serving of the food. We had gotten food from Bella Milano, a wonderful Italian restaurant in Edwardsville. As people were served, I kept looking over at Elizabeth as we ate. She was smiling and looking out at the crowd of friends and family that had gathered for us. 

Her father did a wonderful toast for us. It was full of jokes and laughter. But the ending was serious and brought tears to my eyes. I kissed my new wife and we both raised our glasses in our toast with everyone else in the room.

At last... the moment Elizabeth and I had been dreading arrived. THE FIRST DANCE! We both crossed ourselves and said a little prayer as we went out onto the dance floor. We both have four left feet and can't dance to save our souls. Alesia started up the song, I See The Light, from the Disney movie Tangled.

At first, we felt stiff and tried to remember basic dance moves. Then we did a simple little spinning move, and we got a huge cheer. We both looked out at the crowd in shock. We were both thinking, 'That was our best move, so please don't cheer yet.' We both nearly tripped at one point, but we were able to keep it from happening. 

But something strange happened after that. We just looked into each others' eyes, and the room seemed to disappear. The moves came naturally and we stopped worrying how we looked. The dance moves came from the heart and it finished with us ending in a kiss. The crowd cheered for us and we bowed to the crowd.

After that we had a huge dance with the wedding party to the song Hooked on a Feeling. My God, it was so much fun being out there on the dance floor with everyone! 

The night continued after that with a lot of well wishes from people coming up to our table to shake our hands and give us hugs. Then a familiar song started up: the song GODZILLA by Blue Oyster Cult! It was time to cut my groom's cake. I loved how my cake turned out! I almost didn't want to cut it. But I cut off a small piece for me to eat and shared it with my fellow Godzilla fan, Noah. He had just turned sixteen earlier in the week and we had gotten him the movie Godzilla 2014. He loved my cake and I was happy to share the moment with him.


Then Elizabeth and I cut our wedding cake. It was a wonderful, beautiful cake with a castle cake topper on top. It was fantastic and added even more beauty to the already wonderful room. Both cakes had been made by a local baker and we owe her so much for all the hard work she had done.


The room had been decorated by Elizabeth and a lot of people from out of town that had come for the wedding. It turned out fantastic. Elizabeth had come up with all the ideas for the room. It was beautiful, all of it. I was having such a wonderful time, I guess that is why what happened next happened...

The song, Gangnam Style, started up, and Mitzi, one of the bridesmaids, asked me out to the dance floor. Sooooo... it happened. I cut loose with dance and did it GANGNAM STYLE! 


Ohhhh...well. I had fun and gave a lot of people a good laugh. So it was worth it.

Then came a special game when to came time to take Elizabeth's garter off. Elizabeth sat on a chair with a box hidden underneath it with different things inside it. The idea was that instead of the garter I would be pulling out all this other weird stuff out from under her dress.

The first thing pulled out was a deck of Taboo cards. Then a box of muffin mix. Then a little heart. Each time I would make a little silly face. But what Elizabeth didn't know was that I had a surprise for her.

A few months ago I had saved a poor little puppet from a trash can at work. I felt sorry for it and decided to give the little thing a home. IN ELIZABETH'S CAR! I named him Chuck the woodchuck and he stays in the car and sometimes I will pull him out and talk in a silly voice and make Elizabeth laugh. Or mad, depending on her mood. But mostly she laughs at the poor little guy and will play-punch him. Well, guess where he was hidden on the wedding day? Yep!

I felt Chuck in the box and played it up.

"Oh yeah! I got the garter now! I feel it! I got it! Annnnnd...THERE!" I said as suddenly Chuck was up in the air on my hand in front of Elizabeth.

"OH MY GOD!" Elizabeth laughed out and threw her head back laughing. She then punched Chuck on the face and I laughed and took him off and went back to looking for the garter.

The next thing I pulled out was...GODZILLA! Of course it was! Elizabeth just laughed some more and at last I finally found that little blue Tardis Doctor Who garter. What a wonderful and funny moment it all was!

At last the night was winding down and people were starting to leave. We had the one last dance together out on the dance floor with mostly everyone that was left there. It was a beautiful night. People were all laughing and some were still crying tears of happiness as they said their goodbyes to us. It was all so perfect and the entire day was just wonderful and magical.

We couldn't have done any of this without all the help and volunteers of people that gave their time and talents to us as wedding gifts. It would take another blog post to list all of them. But I just want to say to everyone, 'THANK YOU!' We both are forever in your debt for all of the love and time all of you gave us for the wedding and the reception. It truly was a fairytale and it was a day that will live on forever in our hearts.

I love you Elizabeth. My beautiful Star...my beautiful wife. Thank you for being in my life.

And....GO! GO! GODZILLA!

No comments:

Post a Comment